Sunday, April 22, 2012

Late Nights, Early Mornings

The hardest thing about writing for a living is....

This answer is different for every writer. I know my answer, and I'm not really in much of a mood to share it. At least not before I've had a cup of coffee. Or two.

I spent the weekend with a fantastic group of writers in Indianapolis. Listened to a marvelous presentation by a gifted teacher and mentor to thousands of artists of the written word. I came away from the event with a renewed sense of purpose and the desire to recommit to writing better work. I also came away realizing that most of us - writers - are loners.

Many writers spend countless hours locked behind doors honing their craft. I'm not really your typical artist. Sitting behind a keyboard ten hours a day isn't really my Muse, but when I'm on a streak it's not uncommon for me to go twenty hours without much else. I'm an extroverted person who needs (is addicted to) external stimuli. Be it a coffee date with a friend, or having an intimate conversation with someone that I care about, I really love the give and take of personal interaction.

So, now that I've had a cup of coffee, here's my answer to the first sentence: Not Knowing.

Writers face uncertainty every day of their lives. Is my work good enough? Will it be accepted or rejected? Has it been slushpiled into the deepest pit of cyberhell?

So, I say...chins up, fellow writers! Be of good cheer and keep doing what you do. Several of you inspired me this weekend and I am HONORED to be among you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on YOUR mind?